Thursday, March 11, 2010

They Broke Ground Yall... (Atlantic Yards)



Well, it's on now. They broke ground for the Atlantic Yards and Brooklyn wept. What can I say that hasn't already been said. We don't need it, we never did. Affordable housing for who exactly Mr. Ratner? Jay Z should be ashamed of his face being used for such a nefarious act. I'm rambling a little bit here I know, but I'm just really frustrated.

Brooklyn is my home. I was born in Brooklyn hospital which is not too far from the Atlantic Yards site. My father spent a significant part of his teenage years living in the Atlantic Terminal projects right up the block, so you see that area is special to me. The Nets can't even buy a win right now. They should focus on winning a game and not ruining the landscape of my beloved Brooklyn. To the politicians who stood by and endorsed this mess I say, shame on you.

In the words of the great Walter Sobchak "Has The World Gone CRAZY!?!?!?"

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:00 PM

    i hear you brother. i'm not from brooklyn but i love it like a mother.

    all i can say is this: after mourning the loss of old brooklyn, consider the generations to follow. perhaps the nets moving down the block from 5, 6, 7 year old kids will be really exciting for them in the years to come. when you and i have our children (20 years from now heh heh) we can take them to a game, and they can experience the strange exhilarating pride one feels when cheering their home team. they will be shaping new memories. and theirs will be as genuinely brooklyn as yours, no matter how strange that seems to you or your parents generation.

    of course i don't like the idea of all brooklyn having a team thrust upon them, or sports culture bullying it's way into the local landscape. i definitely recognize those and many other negative realities.

    but change in human life is inevitable, and history is shaped by that change. especially in the cities and towns of the world. here's to hoping it will inspire some incredible artistic expression.

    perspective my brother. it's a matter of perspective!

    ReplyDelete