Friday, February 05, 2010

I Came In 2nd Place / HHK Championship Results


Photo by Metromix

*takes deep breath*

Going into this championship I was a little jaded due to the first one. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but then realized that the fun aspect of HHK was all that mattered. With that said, Heeeeeere we go...

Once everyone arrived ready to perform we sat upstairs in the dressing room joking and rapping along to the records DJ Wex played on stage. The homie Dee Phunk told me the crowd was growing exponentially. At one point a group of us started quoting Coming To America for some reason, and in walks Josh Diggs (the host with the most) with someone rocking a thick black fur directly behind him. All talk ceased as we saw it was Big Daddy Kane himself who just walked in. Josh said something to break the ice, and Kane started shaking everyone's hand, exchanging pleasantries. Once he left the room, we started discussing how sharp he still looked and how fresh his fur was.

Once we had the performance order and 10 o'clock hit, the show started. Josh did a great opening sequence and it was off to the races. I gotta say everyone really did a good job. The one wack surprise of the night was Chef going out in the first round. I speculate the drinks in the dressing room got the best of him that night and he just came off too relaxed to the judges. This was especially prominent after K-Dot started the night off with an incredibly energetic rendition of "Slam" by Onyx. I went on after Diego who gave an energetic performance as well. As I stood to the side of the stage my stomach was in knots. When my name was announced, I took the stage and looked out at the crowd. I saw my beautiful Shino in the crowd, I saw my cheering section holding up signs with my name and this all calmed me down. I felt at ease on stage and ready to perform one of my favorite songs period. Once the beat dropped I felt the energy surge through me. From the first verse to the last verse I never lost focus and kept the crowd in my performance. After four verses I received the first perfect score of the night! Buckshot even got out of his seat to salute me. ME!

As I went to the second round I got to perform the song I scheduled to do in the first championship. However due to my poor score it never saw the light of day... until now. Before I went on this MOFO Doni D went out and destroyed the stage. When I saw him backstage I didn't even say anything we just looked smiled and I walked away shaking my head. I purchased a fitted cap just for my performance two years ago and of course I forgot it at home. Shino did me a huge favor by bringing it to the venue for me. Once I put that hat on and, the music started for Jay-Z's "Encore" I felt that energy surge again. I still smile thinking about that performance. All of the judges showed me love for this one and Big Daddy Kane told me I had what it took to be a real rapper.

For the third round I wasn't as sharp as before and my score reflected that. Before I started I told the crowd that I'd already reached my goal. I got to perform all my songs and had an amazing amount of fun. It was never about winning first place for me. As I went into Slick Rick's "Mona Lisa" I had a gang of fun. I got the whole crowd to dance with me by the end of the song. Right when I finished my man Axiom tossed me his big purple crown which I caught and through right on my head as Slick Rick The Ruler. We didn't even plan that. (As I type this Mona Lisa comes randomly on last FM) I'm sure I had the biggest smile on my face.

When it was all said and done, Doni D and I tied for second and Jessica the newcomer from Queens held down the title of champion with her performance of My Adidas. I have to say the judging was VERY fair this time. Peter Rosenberg from Hot 97 did his thing and showed his knowledge of hip hop lyrics. I appreciated all the comments from the judges. It was time to wrap up the show and at that point Buckshot took the mic and performed "I Gotcha Open (Remix)". When he finished Big Daddy Kane left the judges table and I proceeded to beg him to let me dance for him. This was always a dream of mine. Damali joined me and we became his modern day Scoob and Scrap. AMAZING.

When Kane finished he told me that he was really impressed with my performance and that I was better than many signed acts he saw on stage. He said he didn't know why I never pursued a career in hip hop because I had... "IT". Yup Kane said that to ME! All of the contestants were on stage at this point. All on the same level with no animosity. We were hugging and dancing together, family again. HHK family.

P.S. After the show I got to talk to Kane for a good 15 minutes about Brownsville history and the fact that he was the first performer I ever saw as a kid back in 88. AMAZING!

Time For Pictures And Videos

http://newyork.metromix.com/music/photogallery/2010-hip-hop-karaoke/1736674/content



Photo by Shino Yanagawa

No comments:

Post a Comment