Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Who needs Libraries? Clearly Not Philly.


At least not free libraries because the state legislature has decided the money isn't available to operate Philadelphia's free libraries. I went to Philly for the first time last year and remember seeing a "free" library thinking..."is there any other kind?" Well the answer to that is a moot point now being that even those free libraries will be gone by Oct. 2nd if the legislature has it's way.

The Library is not just a hub for the latest Zane novel or a location to look up old Washington Post articles. It is often the location for community board meetings, G.E.D classes and after school programs. I myself was a latch key kid growing up in Brooklyn, and found many afternoons spent in my local Public library until it was time for my mother to arrive home. I read many books and took care of my homework in silence (while sending love letters to the college aged librarian, I was 12).

If you live in Philly I implore you to seek out information on this matter and take to action. If you do not live in Philly I implore you to find out where your community board meetings are being held so you can at least be up to date with what's going on behind the scenes on your block.
For more information on the closing libraries go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment