Thursday, May 28, 2009

Weekend Warrior pt.1



What a weekend.

I got to ride my bike through the streets of Brooklyn with the sun kissing my face. I went down to Dance Africa on Saturday to start the weekend off right. The fish was in full effect. So many beautiful people out in the streets. I loved seeing all my Brooklyn representatives showing out their best outfits and smiles for family. There was a group of women having a double dutch set going on right in front of the Brooklyn Acadamy of Music. This was right across from the steps to BAM which was filled with people (including myself) chowing down on some tasty outdoor grub. My favorite bakery in Brooklyn Abu's had a nice presence along the street fair.

At one point I bumped into the Afro Mosiac Dance Collective at their booth. My boy Scott straight pulled my bags out of my hands so I could join both he and his brother dancing to some house music. After a few moments of heavy duty vibing there was a whole crowd around us watching. I saw one of my dance partners Rachone in the mix and pulled her out to cut a rug (or asphalt in this case). While in the mix my childhood friend James Mills pulled me out of the circle to see another elementary school friend I haven't spoken to in YEARS. After that it was back to the circle.

There were so many BBQ's going on that I didn't know what to do with myself. After the first day of Dance Africa and enjoying the day with the beautiful Shino and our comrade Stephanie I joined some friends for some chilling and grilling. I met up with the loveable old James and Alma to get some turkey dogs and watch their hometeam lose to LA (sorry guys).

Sunday was the major day for the weekend, with Shan's BBQ on deck I couldn't wait to hit the streets. After getting lunch at Dance Africa again I met up with Shino, Stephanie and her family in from Seattle to take in the scene. When I returned from a run to the store I found Shino talking with a friend of my family, the great photographer Jamel Shabazz. We got a chance to talk about the history of some of his photos and the impact his work has had on people (including myself). If you haven't purchased any of his books PLEASE run to get A Time Before Crack.

After that we scooped up Lorraine and made our way to Long Island CIty for the super dope deck BBQ hosted by my man Shan Boogie. The music was on point as well as the food. Tons of beautiful people from the window to the wall. The MotherGreen team was in full effect shaking hands and kissing babies (well not the latter but definitely the former). The party was rocking until ...

Pt 2 coming up (c) ODB but peep the pics for now by the kid.











1 comment:

  1. Yumi complained about your blog because you mention "Shino" too much but she is happy this one cuz you added her picture as well LOL

    ReplyDelete